A few things about RISE #SouthCoastChallenge
One of the reasons I am doing the South Coast Challenge is so I can raise money for charity, and when I was thinking which charity I wanted to support (they are so many great charities out there!) I wanted to find a charity, which not only did great work, and they would also support me.
Having supported RISE by volunteering for them at the Brighton Half Marathon, and also attending their Stick It On fundraising event, i knew they would be a great match
Here are a few facts about RISE
- Formed in 1994
- RISE stands for Refuge, Information, Support and Education
- Every year RISE helpline staff handle over 4,000 calls
- The helpline is staffed Monday to Friday during office hours, and is 0300 323 9985
- RISE provide crisis accommodation in a refuge for women and children escaping domestic abuse.
- RISE have an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor (IDVA) in the A&E department of Sussex County Hospital
- Domestic Abuse Drop-In Surgery at Hove Town Hall every Wednesday 10 am - 12 pm
- Helpline, IDVA & Drop In Surgery services also available for male victims of domestic abuse
- Support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans People
- Become a RISE Champion and help be the bridge from RISE to the community
- RISE hosting various events from DJ nights to Quiz nights to Choir Concerts & many more
- Upcoming events include Creatives Clothes Chat on 21st June, find out about how you can change your clothes to create a more exciting wardrobe
- Take part in their fundraising 8K Undercliff Run in October
- Have launched The Portal in 2016, a one stop shop for survivors in Brighton & Hove, and East Sussex. Website visitors can choose from a number of options, including advice for friends and family and a referral pathway for professionals.