How would you improve Brighton?Read More
Filtering by Category: Creatives
Lego Shop Window Competition
I run Brighton Bricks an adult fan of Lego group and have an idea of a Lego Shop Window Competition to do sometime this year
The idea is shops in North Laine area of Brighton have a Lego Minifigure hidden in their shop window, we then encourage people to hunt for these figures, and mark down on a form which shop has the Batman figure in it etc.
This is a way to raise awareness of both Brighton Bricks as well as shops in the local area, which hopefully encourage people to visit your shop
At the moment it is an idea stage but want to know what shops maybe interested in taking part
Also if each shop could donate a very small amount we should have enough money to buy some good Lego Sets which could be prizes
If this is successful we could run it again, either in same area or different part of Brighton / Hove
You can check out Brighton Bricks on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
Share Your Story: The Bright Green Penguin Story so far
As you may know, I started Share Your Story's Live A Good Story back in Jan, and have been working on it ever since (missed Feb meet up due to family emergency) & March meet is coming up soon
In preparation for that, want to think what I want to achieve, my three goals were
1. Finding a job in Brighton
2. Setting up a project for Bright Green Penguin (will be known as BGP from now on)
3. Looking into setting up BGP so I could earn an living from it
and here is how they are going
1. Not going well at the moment. Partially feel I'm either too experienced or not enough experience.
2. Deciding between using the Lego show I am doing already, or more of a BGP idea
Weirdly I think picking the Lego show as a cheat, as something I'm already doing. Also I feel I need to do something as BGP, something to make people aware of what I do. The Lego show is happening in May at Dice Saloon. Have a few non Lego related ideas
My two original non Lego ideas are a BGP map, a foldable map which features on certain area, championing the creatives, charities, community groups, supporting local shops. Sort of make it a map/magazine
The other idea is a Doing Good board game / card game / iSpy book. Wanting something to encourage people to do good, recognising Good behaviour
3. This is the big problem, as I can't seem to decide on what I could do. Part of this problem is not being able to focus on what BGP is all about.
Or should I be focusing on Brighton Bricks. Lego is something I love, but just doing BB feels like I missing out on all the great stuff BGP does.
Even though I have been doing BGP a few years now, I'm still not sure what it is, and I think that is why I feel take up has been so slow on this. I have a quite a few followers on Twitter but don't feel I have had any real impact on my the world
Also think I go from one idea to another, like a magpie & cant focus on one thing. Maybe you this is something I need to change, or embrace
So need to focused on what BGP should be about, what I want it to achieve. I know the main thing is I want to expend it from being just me to a bigger thing, to working with others
*BGP career ideas*
Running people's social media accounts
Selling other people's creative work
Running / Hosting events
Creating my own products
*Brighton Brick ideas*
Selling Lego sets / Lego related items
Organising Lego events for kids
Organising Lego events for businesses, team building, problem solving etc
Custom Lego printing
Setting up a BB shop / cafe
So I hope to have for the next Live A Good Story ideas of what I could do
If anyone has any ideas / suggestions would be great to hear
Some Lego Idea project suggestionsRead More
City Reads Book Swap BoxesRead More
On 24th of Feb (tomorrow) I will be 42, and as we know from Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the meaning of life is 42. What is the question is unknown.
So from 24th Feb 2017 to 23rd Feb 2018 I will be attempting to work out the meaning of life. Well not quite, I will be looking at the meaning of MY life. I will be looking at how I can improve my life, looking at what I enjoy, look at what I could do more of. Reducing my bad habits, making better use of my time. All in the aim to creating version 43 of myself.
So I have a list of 42 things I want to do, and will be charting my progress for the whole year on how I go.
If anyone has any suggestions or able to help me on this journey let me know
In no particular order
1. Read 42 Books
2. Build 42 Lego Sets
3. Give Out 42 Homeless Care Packages
4. Go on The Dad Course
5. Play 42 Game Sessions
6. Learn to Draw
7. Have 42 weeks of walking at least 60,000 steps a week
8. Do 42 laps of BHT Around the World Challenge
9. Get 4,200 Twitter Followers as BGP
10. See 42 films in the cinema
11. Run 42 Times
12. Give away 42 unwanted items
13. Sell as Brighton Bricks
14. Complete Live A Good Story course
15. Complete 42 blog posts not including blog post about this 42 Challenge
16. Hold Lego show at Dice Saloon
17. Hold Lego Fire Walk event
18. Interview 42 people for BGP
19. Register Brighton Bricks as a LUG
20. Get a job based in Brighton
21. Have 42 blog posts from other people on BGP
22. Go to at least 42 Exhibitions / Sporting Events / Shows / Gigs etc
23. Cook 42 meals from scratch
24. Think of a cool hashtag to join this all up
25. Learn A Magic Trick
26. 42 Random Acts of Kindness
27. Raise money for charity
28. Have a popup store
29. Interview 42 people for BGP / BB
30. Be A Dad
31. Produce a BGP Plan for the future
32. Produce a Bright Bricks Plan for the future
33. Look at what I do to waste time & how I can make use of this. What is my definition of wasting time
35. Start book swapping
36. Walk More
37. Explore more
38. Do, not just talk
39. Sort out my storage unit, in an effort to discover my past (and be more organised)
40. Enjoy life, smile more, laugh more. Ensure I know what is important to me
41. Keep revisiting this list & updating / changing where needed. This is a tool for me to improve my life, not a tick list or something to beat myself about if I don't achieve something
42. Re-Read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy to discover the meaning of life (if I don't have time for the book, check out the classic TV series, which is amazing. Should check out the radio series as never heard that. Did see the stageshow a few years ago
BOHO GELATO’S FUNDRAISING FLAVOUR SUPPORTING BRIGHTON’S BIG READ FOR CHILDRENRead More
Funko, Lego and Hasbro news from New York Toy Fair 2017Read More
Jason Freeny's new XXRay Looney Tune figures at Mighty JaxxRead More
The Lego Batman Movie is now out, here are the sets being released.Read More
Lego magazine Blocks are running a Lego Bat Build competition.Read More
# What do with an Old Skateboard
Maybe you have an old skateboard in the garage or cupboard, and wondering what you can do with this. Here are a few ideas:
What other ideas do you have?
Funko Pop reveals at London Toy Fair 2017Read More
What has 2017 planned for Bright Green Penguin
Last year I applied for Share Your Story's Live A Good Life award & managed to get a place. This award gives me a place on their program, which is all about helping people tell a good life story.
My application was about Bright Green Penguin, and how I want to transform it, make it better. So going to use this blog post to think about some of my ideas
First off, what is the purpose of Bright Green Penguin (BGP). I wanted to do something to help improve the world. I never know what impact I have, if I have any at all but I still do this because I believe the world can only get better if everyone makes an impact not matter how small it is.
How do I want to make the world a better place? By sharing, promoting, championing great ideas, creatives, community initiatives which I hope may inspire other people. Like buying from local shops through the great #justacard campaign. Or volunteering while getting fit with Good Gym
So what do I want to achieve 2017?
I want to make BGP more real, not just a Twitter & Facebook account
Ideas I have include
- Offering pay as you feel consultancy
- Setting up networking events
- Become an online store or sell local designers crafts at Art Fairs / Craft Fairs
- Looking at what recycling options I can offer
- Creating a game which helps promote the three Cs of BGP - creative, charity & community
- Create a hub where people can share ideas
- Offer a connection service, i.e. if you are a company looking for a charity to support, or a community project looking for sponsors
- Create an leaflet / map promoting the local shops & community projects which need supporting
Plus also I will be developing Brighton Bricks, my adult fan of Lego group.
If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wow, what a year 2016 has been. What with Brexit, Trump and the seeming endless list of celebrities who died it doesn't appear to be a good year. BUT I want to focus on what I think was good about 2016.
Favourite Highlight of the Year
The South Coast Challenge. Walking 100km / 60 miles in 24 hours 22 mins was the main highlight of the year. Especially raising £1461.03 for the great Sussex charity RISE.
Walking from Eastbourne starting early morning, along the cliffs at Beachy Head, and then along the South Downs to Brighton, and the half way point in Hove, where we had food and set off again with headtorches for the 2nd half where you were walking through the night, until you reached Arundel.
- The beautiful scenery of the South Coast
- Joining up with another Nick for the 2nd half, who really helped me when walking through the night.
- The amazing support from people, on the walk, as well as friends and family before and during.
- The amazing support from RISE and giving me the cool orange hoodie
- The training walks, getting to discover Sussex, as well as listening to lots of great podcasts
The Cycling Podcast - All about cycling, and having been a Tour de France fan for years, this has really help me expand my knowledge about this great sport. Hosted by three journalists and some friends, they give a friendly and enthusatic telling of the news and issues in the cycling world. Also by donating £10 a year you can become a friend of the podcast and have access to special podcasts. Some of the 2016 highlights include Ep2 The Rise and Demise of HTC-High Road, Ep 7 Operacion Puerto: The Day the Tour Almost Died, and E8 Mount Ventoux: Heat, Wind & Fear. Read More. Available via iTunes
A few other favourite podcasts
- This is Not A Fish
Favourite Films of 2016
Things That Prove Life in 2017 Will Be Better Than We Thought
- Library of Things - Friendly space in West Norwood where you can borrow, share and learn with your community. Read More
- Share Your Story - Not for profit group in Brighton and Hove providing a space to hear people's stories, to inspire us to live better ones ourselves. Read More
- Foodshed Cook & Creche Course - Foodshed running courses for families who want to learn how to cook, whilst their children play in the next room. Read More
- Brighton Etsy Team - One of my highlights was the Brighton Etsy Christmas Market at the Corn Exchange in Dec. If you are a creative, and on Etsy but don't follow them, then do so now. Read More
- City Reads - Promoting shared reading across communities in Brighton and Hove. Read More
- The People's Fridge - Community Fridge in Brixton where people can give and take spare food. Read More about them on Twitter
- #justacard - a Brilliant twitter campaign to encourage people to support local shops & independent creatives
- #Bright50 & #BrightFuture Campagin by ZSTa an architect firm based in Brighton, all about how we can improve our city
Favourite Articles of 2016
Some of my favourite articles/news stories I shared via Twitter/Facebook this year, and via my Flipboard book
- Artist Turns A Cement Mixer Into A Giant Disco Ball - via Bored Panda. Read More
- The Good Gym appear on the BBC. Read More
- 6p a Minute Cafe - via BBC. Read More
- Artist wearing every piece of trash he creates for 30 days. See More
- Brighton For Nerds (featuring my Brighton Bricks) via We Love Brighton. Read More
- 7 Things To Say To Young Girls That Isn't About Them Being Cute - via Buzzfeed. Read More
- Street Pantry Invites People to Leave Goods for Those in Need - via Huffington Post. Read More
- Haircuts for the Homeless - via BBC. Read More
- Host A Silent Reading Party - via Book Riot. Read More
Favourite TV Shows of 2016
One of the things I have got back into this year is comic books, and below are some of the series I have enjoyed.
And a few other highlights
- Heroes Run - I ran this race as The Flash this year. Race is raising money for education projects in Africa. A rest in 2017 but will be back for 2018. Read More
- Lou Reed's Drones - part of Brighton Festival. Read More
- World Book Night - I gave out books as part of a care package to rough sleepers in Brighton. Read More about World Book Night
I have to admit I do love a good Christmas song, and once it hits December I will upload my Christmas playlist onto my phone.
So to share the Christmas Spirit, I am going to be updating this blog every day between today and Christmas Eve with some of my favourite Christmas Songs
Let me know what are your favourite songs?
We have to start with a classic Christmas song, so it has to be Shakin Stevens with his 1985 hit
and now another classic from the 80s, comedian Mel Smith and Kim Wild
Forgot to post yesterday, so here are two more songs to get you into the Christmas mood
A few ideas on how to have a greener Christmas. If you have any suggestions please let me know.Read More
Can Lego be art?Read More
The Bright Green Penguin Christmas Gift Buying GuideRead More
It's #RoaldDahl100 on 13th Sept and wanted to celebrate the works of the great author as well as linking to loads of great items to buy from places like EtsyRead More